Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A little about me. . .

Hi girls! I'm excited to be a part of this wonderful group of sisters! I thought I'd add a little intro and share some things about me.

I'm originally from Alabama, mostly the Hoover area (interesting tidbit--Taylor Hicks, the American Idol winner, was in my high school graduating class, and our families are very old friends). I love to be outdoors more than anything, and some of my favorite activities include snow skiing, scuba diving, hiking, rock climbing, camping, and fishing. I also enjoy reading, floral design, and a good home remodeling project. My favorite (non-Medical) subject is probably poli-sci--I LOVE a good political debate, and if I had to describe my leanings, the most accurate way to put it would be Constitutional originalist :).

I went to BYU (1995-2002) and met my husband, Ian, right before my last semester. I studied English and secondary education, but took time off between semesters to work and travel. Some of my favorite experiences included studying at the Jerusalem Center (Winter 1998), spending a summer in Alaska as a chef, leading scuba trips in the Channel Islands (California), and working as a children's ski instructor at Alta for four winters.

After Ian and I married in the Salt Lake temple in November 2002, we went to China for a year and taught English in Shanghai. What an incredible experience that was! When we returned to the states I began to pursue my medical education in Birmingham, and Ian felt strongly about pursuing a career in the Army. We've had to live separately for the past five years, but through it all we've made it work! We have two beautiful daughters--Aliya is two and a half, and Regi is almost four months.


Let's see, something unique about me--I was adopted at birth but have been able to connect and spend time with some of my biological relatives. I have 17 half siblings--ranging in age from one year to 28--and the two sisters and one brother I grew up with for a total of 20 brothers and sisters!

Unfortunately, I will be leaving you all soon--I will be starting my residency in Family Medicine in Mobile, AL on July 1 but will be moving sometime in early June. It has been so wonderful to get to know you all and find such dear friends in so short a period. I hope to keep in touch with you and if you ever find yourself in the Heart of Dixie, give me a call and we'll go for some beach and bar-b-q :)!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I knew you were starting your residency soon, but I didnt know you were leaving so soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!